We have all heard the term ‘radiant skin‘, but what does it mean exactly?
The term ‘radiant’ literally means radiating rays or reflecting beams of light. A radiant, glowing complexion is generally considered a sign of being healthy, happy and well-rested. Lack of sleep, stress, age, a poor diet smoking… are all factors that can cause your complexion to lose its radiance over time.
So other than eating healthy and sleep more, is it possible to achieve a radiant, shining, glossy skin using specific products alone? The short answer is yes!
Getting radiant skin is a process that won’t happen overnight, but you can start it anytime and anywhere. By implementing the right skincare routine and using products containing specific active ingredients that focus on glow, it is indeed possible to achieve that glossy, dewy look that will make you look and feel younger and healthy.
What is Radiant Skin?
Radiant, glossy skin is characterised by small pores, even complexion and the absence of blemishes. Radiant skin is moist and soft, shining but not oily, bright but not dry. Sounds difficult or even impossible to achieve? Rest assure it is not!
Skin tone, luminosity, firmness, hyperpigmentation and/or discoloration (i.e. dark circles, sun damage, skin conditions like melasma etc.) can all have an effect on the natural appearance of radiant skin. The good news is that you can transform skin that looks dull and tired to radiant and glowing by following these tips, courtesy of Dr Nina.
How To Get Radiant Skin
- Start from within
Radiant skin starts with what we put inside our bodies. Eating a healthy and balanced diet, rich in vitamins and antioxidants means consuming plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Cutting down on sugars will also help to maintain your natural skin radiance and youthful glow.
- Stay hydrated
When you’re dehydrated, your complexion might look duller and wrinkles may stand out more. Drinking plenty of water not only improves your body’s overall health, but it also does great things for your skin, keeping it supple and smooth. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
- Get enough sleep
Sleep deprivation affects the skin’s healing process, collagen production, skin hydration, and skin texture. You should try to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night, to give your body the time to rest and recover properly.
- Exercise more
Exercise increases blood flow, thus replenishing the oxygen supply in the muscles and the skin cells. This will result in a brighter complexion and beautiful healthy glow.
- Use a comprehensive approach to skincare
That means starting with and following a solid skincare routine each and every day. A daily regimen that covers cleansing, exfoliating, toning, moisturizing, and protecting from sun damage should be considered essential to keep your skin as radiant, shining, glossy as possible.
- Get to know your skin
Is your skin normal, oily, dry, sensitive, or a combination? Knowing your skin type is the first step towards choosing the right skincare products and implementing a skincare regimen that is effective for your skin. This is why Dr Nina always recommends coming for an initial consultation before undergoing any treatments or starting a new skincare routine.
The Enemies of a Radiant Complexion
There are a number of factors, both internal and external, that can affect the look and feel of your skin. We mentioned a few of these factors that are related to a poor lifestyle – lack of exercise, poor diet, not getting enough exercise etc.
Other external factors to consider are UV rays, smoking and other environmental factors such as pollution.
- UVA and UVB rays are perhaps the skin’s greatest danger and obstacle to achieving radiant skin. They can trigger a lot of different skin problems, such as hyperpigmentation, age spots, dry, sagging skin, wrinkles and premature aging.
- Smoking is also another great enemy of glowing skin. It affects the blood vessels, which deliver oxygen and nutrients to the entire body. Depriving the skin of these essential nutrients leads to a pale, greyish or uneven skin tone. This is why – besides being linked to cancer, lung and heart disease – this bad habit is also associated with premature skin ageing, and a number of other skin disorders.
Finally, there are a few internal factors that can affect your overall skin’s radiance. These include hormonal changes, poor cell renewal, some health conditions and medications. Being physiological in nature, these factors can’t unfortunately be controlled or influenced so easily,
But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible for you to reclaim the appearance of healthy, glowing skin by using the right products and ingredients in your skincare regimen.
The Best Skincare Routine for Radiant Skin
Now that we explained the importance of a healthy lifestyle to maintain your skin glowing and radiant, let us clarify something: it is completely normal for your skin to sometimes look dull, tired or just less shining than usual.
A period of intense stress, an illness, a sleepless night, hormonal fluctuations… sometimes there are things we cannot control, and they will inevitably show signs on our faces. The key is to be consistent with the things we can control in order to maintain our skin as healthy, radiant and glossy as it can possibly be.
Implementing a regular skincare regimen, by choosing the right products and ingredients and sticking to it, is the first and perhaps most important thing you can consistently do to maintain (or gain back) your healthy, youthful glow.
Your skin is constantly undergoing change, triggered from within and by external factors. It is constantly reacting to everything; from the passing of time, to your lifestyle choices and the environment around you. To support your best skin from this moment on and beyond, it’s time to review your choices and your skincare regime. I’d like to introduce you to my Face Sculpt Serum which I believe will be your new best friend on your pathway to your best skin.Dr Nina Bal
Serums contain high concentrations of key active ingredients that help with specific skin issues. They are highly effective because with their light formulation they can penetrate deeply into the skin.
However, before we move on and talk about Dr Nina’s new serum for radiant skin, it is important to spend some time to understand how a face serum should be incorporated in your skincare routine for the best results.
Skincare Steps for Glowing Skin
When it comes to skincare, it is not just about the products you use, but also the order you use them. By following these steps in the correct order, you can make sure you are taking care of your skin in the most effective way.
- Cleanse twice a day. Wash your face after you wake up in the morning and before you go to bed at night, after removing make up. You can use water only, or a mild face cleanser that suits your skin type. Remember to use lukewarm or cold water, not hot, to avoid drying out your skin and/or cause irritations.
- Tone your skin. Depending on the ingredients and on your skin’s needs, toners can help brighten and even out your complexion. The toner can ideally contain some lactic acid to gently exfoliate the skin, or some salicylic acid to cleanse the pores. This step can be completely optional in a good skincare routine, but it’s a great way to prep the skin to absorb the products you are applying right after.
- Incorporate serums in your daily routine. After cleansing and toning, this is when your skin is the most receptive and ready to absorb all the active ingredients contained in the serum. A serum must always be applied before you move to the next step.
- Apply moisturiser twice daily. You might need to use a moisturiser after the serum, or you might not. It is not a fixed rule, but if you feel your skin is tight and craves more hydration, then go ahead and apply your moisturiser of choice mornings and evenings. Just make sure to choose the right moisturiser based on your skin type.
- Oily skin: choose gel moisturisers, which are lightweight and won’t leave your face feeling greasy.
- Dry skin: opt for cream moisturisers, which are heavier and more hydrating.
- Sensitive or combination skin: use lotions, which absorb well but are still hydrating.
- Never forget to apply sunscreen! Use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every morning, even if it’s cloudy outside.
- Exfoliate once a week. Exfoliation is a must when it comes to a healthy skin glow, While you exfoliate, you remove dead skin cells, which results in a smoother, clearer, and brighter complexion.
For more general skincare routine advice from Dr Nina, make sure to read this post: Dr Nina’s Skincare Routine Tips.
The Importance of Face Serum for Radiant Skin
A face serum can have different functions and target specific skin concerns. It can replenish the moisture and dehydration of the skin, it can restore the hydrolipidic barrier of the skin, and it can also create a gentle exfoliation to the skin.
When it comes to promoting and maintaing radiant, glowing skin, a face serum like Dr Nina’s new Face Sculpt Serum can be the best addition to your skincare regimen! Lightweight, easily absorbed and designed to suit most skin types, this innovative serum is a powerhouse of active ingredients that provide hydration, fight expression lines, and encourage cell renewal for rapidly visible effects.
Conclusion: Radiant Skin is Achievable for Everyone
Radiant, glowing and healthy-looking skin comes first and foremost from the inside out. Getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, quit smoking, eating a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, etc. are all good practises that will make your face look younger and healthy.
But when your lifestyle does occasionally make it difficult to maintain all the healthy habits above, remember a good skincare routine can go a long way in restoring and maintaining your skin’s health and radiance.
For more useful advice on a skincare routine for maintaining a radiant skin, check out this post: Dr Nina’s Skincare Routine Tips.